Sunday 30 September 2018

Poetry Corner IV


As summer fades fast, I've sadly lost my bright early morning two-hour writing slot, which served me so well. The shorter daylight hours do nothing for my motivation, and alas I am not writing much at all these days, but I can at least share these three poems with you.

These verses seem to strike the tone for how my year has gone really. The third one is an oldy, as you can see, which I include for the sake of balance. Hopefully I will find myself still able to write occasionally during the coming dark season..


Still Trying


Trying to branch out
With precious few connections,
Trying to stay focused
With a constantly wandering mind,
Trying to get clarity
Through a fog of anxiety,
Trying to have faith
While riddled with self-doubt,
Trying for creativity
While fighting negativity,
Trying to find answers
Without the right questions,
Trying to have patience
As frustration bites,
Trying to be better
While never feeling good enough,
Trying to feel content
Despite longing so much,
Trying to understand
When confusion reigns,
Trying to be loving
As self-loathing takes over,
Trying to find peace
In spite of the anger,
Trying to hold on
When all hope is gone,
Trying..
Very trying.

[23.06.2018]



Walled In


This is insane, isn’t it?
Banging my head against walls
Built up over years and years..
Where once they protected me,
Now I am entombed.

Chipping away at the cracks,
Constantly hit by the flack,
I wipe dirty sweat from my brow
And wonder how I’ll ever escape
At this slow rate.

My patience is running out..
I want to scream and shout
But only manage sneers and sighs,
And occasional cries
Of stinging self-pity.

My tools are all blunted
By the constant wear and tear
Of this relentlessly hard work..
I’d go berserk if not for
Lack of energy.

Tired of looking down,
But when I look up I get scared
By the height of those walls,
And the idea of scratching away
For all my days.

So, I slump back down
Once more to try to sleep,
Lapsing between confusion
And vivid nightmares,
In shades of grey.

[30.09.2018]



Alone In The World


It appears that somebody has tried to strangle me,
Just because I can’t agree with their philosophy
Somebody else grates on me like new shoes on ankles
I’m losing all my sparkle but still keeping all my marbles.

Time has a funny way of waking you up to yourself,
Just when you think you’ve lost all your hope and health
Shaking your foundations, rocking you to pieces,
Then, when you can take no more, it suddenly ceases.

Openings in the brain welcome new ways of thinking
You can close them again if you feel yourself sinking,
But I’d rather play my cards one at a time tonight,
That way I can be sure that I’m doing it all right.

Life will avenge all attempts to hold back
From the throng, the joy, and the heart-attack
Better to seamlessly drift with the tide
Than surrender to the darkness held deep inside.

[04.05.2000]



Copyright ©2018 Richard C. Greenlow. All rights reserved.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Comment is welcomed and appreciated, more than you know! If you feel like it, let me know your thoughts. Its good to talk, and even better to receive feedback as a writer. Peace out.