Saturday 11 August 2018

On Reflection


"Among the great geniuses of our times, all showed a readiness to discard prevalent views, an irreverence towards authority, a strong capacity for solitude, and a 'psychological unease' which could cause mental trouble such as depression, anxiety, or alcoholism. But if these qualities were not too incapacitating, they actually contributed to the individual's ability to achieve significant creativity, blaze new trails, propose radical solutions, and promote new schools of thought." - Arnold Ludwig, The Price Of Greatness

The words 'genius', 'mad', 'crazy' and 'insane' get banded about an awful lot these days. It does a great disservice to anyone who suffers with mental ill-health when we inappropriately use such terms, likewise it really is an insult to true genius when we use the term too loosely. However, semantics aside, these words have their place in our increasingly confusing and complex world. My personal experience, most of my reading, and all I have learnt from interactions with artists, writers, musicians and other creative individuals teaches me that it is pretty much a universal truth that much of the best creativity comes from the experiences of psychological or emotional difficulty, embracing the 'dark side' of our nature, refusal to conform, rejection of authority and willingness to discard prevailing ideas in favour of radical new ones. 

"Blessed are the weird people: poets, misfits, writers, mystics, painters, troubadours for they teach us to see the world through different eyes." - Jacob Nordby

Aeons ago when we lived a much simpler life in tribal communities, those who possessed creative gifts were revered and deemed as sacred, to be trusted and respected and rejoiced. Now they are usually just labelled as 'misfits', often derided in society and thought of as 'crazy'. Certainly, there is pretty much no value placed on their creative vision, their potential to show us just how beneficial it can be to embrace unorthodox views and break through the restraints of established ideas and ways of thinking. Sure, financial rewards do find a lucky few writers, musicians, artists etc. but usually only enough reward is paid so as to sell their work to make money for some faceless corporate entity. Often the true value of their work is only 'realised' long after their death. They are rarely celebrated for their real worth - for their gift of a vision of the world that can sooth, inspire, excite, inform and teach us in equal measure.


From a personal point of view I have found that my forays into writing music and poetry, and more recently this blog, have provided me with an immense sense of achievement and satisfaction. I have never, would never claim to be anything even approaching a creative genius. That lofty position belongs to a hundred others I could cite who have inspired and taught me through their works. Much of what we find most appealing and transformative in the creative arts is something personal to each of us, and overall always a highly subjective matter. Amongst the millions of songs, books, plays, films, poems, artworks and items of beauty out there are a few rare items which carry within them universal truths. I have been fortunate enough to have found a few, and continue to enjoy the search for more. Writing is a gift which I am eternally grateful for, expect no reward for and only really wish to share with the world. After all, what good is a gift meant to be shared if we keep it to ourselves?

"Writing means sharing. It's part of the human condition to want to share things - thoughts, ideas, opinions." - Paulo Coelho

There does come a strong sense of sadness with the knowledge that most of the people; the musicians, artists, philosophers, psychologists, scientists, comedians, writers and poets, that I would most enjoy conversing with are dead and buried. It would be easy to develop a complex about the perceived shallow, banal, mediocre, uninspiring, unoriginal and unimaginitive nature of modern culture and many of its popular 'creative' icons. Important then, to remain open-minded and not allow this sense of longing for the past and dissatisfaction with the present to obscure my vision, otherwise how will I catch the rare glimpses of genius amongst the dross? In the meantime there is a world of material I have yet to discover to keep me more than occupied. Ultimately, I suffer from a feeling of disconnection from a peer group that I feel I have finally earned the right to call my own. I'm no genius, but I am a writer and an intellectual, one who feels a million miles away from like-minded souls.


Writing balances me, providing an outlet for the craziness inside my head and the negativity that seeps in from this insane world. The process of sharing ideas, thoughts and views massages my brain, helping me to reflect on what I have learnt and identify the multitude of things I need to learn. It provides me with a voice for my concerns and comfort for when I am struggling. Life is hard work with so much we must learn if we are to live it well, and things have to change in this world if future generations are to have a hope of inheriting something worth having. I don't have all the answers, in fact I probably have very few, but those I do have I know I need and want to share. I've lived a crazy life, and let's face it, the world isn't getting any less mad. As far as I can see, being crazy is the healthiest way to live!

"Some people never go crazy. What horrible lives they must lead." - Charles Bukowski


Copyright ©2018 Richard C. Greenlow. All rights reserved.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Comment is welcomed and appreciated, more than you know! If you feel like it, let me know your thoughts. Its good to talk, and even better to receive feedback as a writer. Peace out.